For a while now, we've been contemplating starting a mini garden. We weren't quite ready to dig up the lawn just to find out that having a
green thumb wasn't part of our genetic make up. I've always thought that term was kind of funny. Really, where does the term green thumb come from anyway? I know that most things that grow are green, but your thumbs really end up brown from digging in the dirt (hence the brown colored thumb above). Hmmmmm. That thought expansion will be saved for another day.
Anyways, we talked with some friends that started a container garden. That idea sounded perfect and even a little exciting. So, a few days later off to Home Depot we went for some pots, soil, tomato wiring and starter plants (I think cheating on the starter plants was OK and even a good idea). We picked up 3 tomato plants and 3 red pepper plants. And 2 months later this is how they look...
Tomatoes on the left (can you see some red in there?) and peppers on the right.

some of the growing tomatoes...

Tomatoes ready to be picked


Peppers, just not red yet...

I waited for the kids to wake up so they could be the ones to take the first pick. They've been just as excited for this day to come. It's pretty amazing how quickly they start to grow after they've sprouted. (I'm talking about the garden here not the kids). We'd all go outside almost daily to see the growth of our produce in the backyard. Sydney and her tired eyes took the first pick and the first nibble. Tomatoes for breakfast never hurt anyone.

Spencer showing off the tomato he'll never eat. At least they look yummy.


And that's about all we got out of this first harvest round. More to come in the next few days. I have to say, I'm really proud of us. I think we take pride in our backyard. Lawn looks nice, fun area to play for the kids and now our growing pots. Our front yard on the other hand is another story.
19 comments:
yum i love tomatoes! i'm a little sad you didn't offer me some of your home grown produce when i was there today:) it looks great! maybe one day i'll have to grow something.
Wow Syd likes tomatoes? I wish I did, my poor kids don't stand a chance. Can't wait to see you all at Dave's wedding!
that is a great idea! we are putting a box in our yard only because we haven't landscaped yet! no dirt to dig up. i'll have to call you for some pointers...
That's awesome. We haven't had great weather here yet, but we are attempting a full garden this year! Those veggies look delish!
Nice job! All of us have become obsessed with watching our garden grow. Jason didn't get home 'til 2:00am the other night but we still walked out to look at our garden. That tomato looks so yummy!
As always, I am impressed! I expect those tomatoes to be part of Sunday dinner one time!
Yay for gardens! Are you having any trouble with birds eating your harvest? All our food is getting eaten before we can eat it! The tomaters and peppers look awesome!!
Hey Stace!! Long time no talk! I love your blog! It's so fun to see pics of your beautiful family. And your veggies look delicious!
good job on the gardening. we've managed to grow a few things this year, but unfortunately the birds have gotten to them before us.
Aaron suggested we get a king cobra to solve the problem, but I'm thinking fake owl might be more practical.
I would love to have a garden, your idea may inspire me. However, I'm not sure if AZ summer is the right time to see if it works!
Stac, you crack me up.
Hey, I thought I would leave a comment so that you would have my blog address. See ya bright and early!
wow! i love your garden! isn't it so much fun to see the tomatoes start to turn red! and the container garden is a great idea.
how is your life anyway? (i can see it's a happy life) i'm so glad to be in touch again.
talk again soon...
Stac,
What's your email address...we are going private on our blog and I need your email so that I can let you have access! Just email me at hannemannfamily@msn.com to let me know! Love ya!
-Jen
I'm so impressed!! I really have great intentions to start one day. Maybe the containers wouldn't intimidate me as much. I bet your kiddos loved it!!
Hey guys! We have a really great new post but we set our blog as private and I don't have your email. If you are interested send me your address at emilyginn AT yahoo DOT com.
Oh my heck! Those look great; I have to admit I'm a bit jealous. Every time I plant a garden, ok well only three times, my plants die or my child pulls them out of the ground. I should do a container one too. Good job!
Love the garden! Actually a little jealous. We love gardening but gave it up a year or so ago for other things. But we are getting back to it as soon as we are settled. (I already have a plan)
Thank you for hosting such a fun day with Em. She felt so "at home" (it really must have been strange for her) I'm secretly hoping that feeling will still be there when they are done with CT.
I would love to do a craft day! We close 3 weeks from today!! I can't believe it!
There is nothing like homegrown tomatoes! You could make salsa!! so yummy...
STAC! I am totally impressed!! Way to go. I have a small garden on the side of my house, but my veggies don't look nearly as good as yours! I guess all that moisture there in Texas makes a difference! ;)
Post a Comment