Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Carving Gone Sad

So the story goes a little something like this...

We took a little adventure over to our local Walmart store to pick out our Halloween pumpkins. We even purchased them outside the front entrance to the store (in the dark when the weather was cooler) so that it felt somewhat like we had gone to a fun pumpkin patch this year (our good intentions just weren't met this October). Each kid (except Saryn because she got her freebie pumpkin from the Oil Ranch trip) got to pick out their very own pumpkin. Sydney's pumpkin was a little more round and wide. Spencer's was more tall and narrow.  Here we are all set to carve.
The kids were all having fun drawing faces and cleaning out the goo. Then we tried, with our might, to stab the first part of Spencer's pumpkin and the knife would not budge! His pumpkin was pretty much not ripe enough to carve without someone taking a trip to the ER. For awhile he was OK with it. So, I just sort of carved in the word BOO, to be a little festive. Then the time came for us to light our newly carved jack-o-lanterns. That's when he got REALLY sad. Notice that he didn't quite make it in this picture.
The poor little guy was crying because his pumpkin didn't light up like the rest. At first I wasn't too sympathetic. This sounds terrible, but I was mainly sad that we didn't get all three kids in the traditional pumpkin carving shot. Jeff on the other hand felt terrible and was ready to go to Walmart that night to purchase another pumpkin. By the end of the night I was feeling pretty bad for little Spence too.
Jeff did go to the store the next day (Halloween day) and there were no pumpkins to be found (I was wondering when we would find the time to squeeze a quick carving in with all the events going on that day). Spence got over it fairly quickly (and we never lit them after that night) but I was, however, able to sneak a quick picture of the three kids holding their pumpkins before the trash pick up that day. Spence was excited to hold the tiny pumpkin "for the newborn baby" and we also decided that we would keep his pumpkin on the porch a few extra days since it wasn't molding  yet. He thought that was a good deal. If I was a really good mom, I would have made pumpkin pie or pumpkin something from scratch for him using his pumpkin. Next year, we'll make sure that he gets a great pumpkin to carve!
On to the other events...like the ward Halloween Party...always a fun one to go to.
G.G. was in town so we had to get a shot with her!
Trick or treating with fun friends. And we finished the night off making some yummy caramel apples at a friend's house. Granny Smith's dipped in caramel, white chocolate and sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar...YUM!
The main reason for this picture (which I snagged from a friend) is to show you how great Sydney's costume was. We could of used a little more grass on the skirt, but I think it adds a little character. Wouldn't you agree? It made me think of the movie Parent Trap (the one with Haley Mills) when one of the girls cut the other's skirt at the dance to get revenge. Good movie...if you haven't seen it, you should.
My two hula dancers.
Spencer and Blake preparing to defeat Megatron and the rest of the Decepticons. 

Though I was a party pooper this year for halloween and didn't dress up, I did however stretch my memory of what I wore several years ago. A couple friends of mine put together an 80's party. All the hubby's stayed home with the kids so us mommies could relive our glory days playing "Girl Talk".  It was a fun group. Some of the girls were born during the 80's which made me feel a little old. It's funny how age doesn't really matter much when you're all in the same stage of life with kids and such. Here's a shot of me sporting my side ponytail and scrunchie around the wrist. Sorry you don't get the full shot of my pinch rolled jeans and rolled over socks. 
The only thing this party was missing was Kirk Cameron and Molly Ringwald!
Funny to think that I actually felt cool wearing stuff like pinch rolled jeans  everyday to school back then. What will we have in this era to make fun of in 15 years? Cd's, phones attached to people's ears, crocks? I personally hope that tankini's don't go out of style because they are way too convenient during the summer!




5 comments:

Emma Jo said...

I love the 80's party, so fun!! and the pumpkin story is very sad but at least you got the adorable picture you needed. We miss you guys!

Clint, Marianne, Sage, Charlotte, Emery and Ivy said...

Aw poor Spence.
I love the hula skirt. Sydney pulls it off. And Saryn is getting so pretty!

Monson Family said...

I LOVE Syd's skirt!!!! It si totally like the Parent trap!!!! SO FUNNY!!! And poor Spence. He handled it pretty well though. Liam would've been really upset too. We didnt' even carve pumpkins this year. I'm a party pooper too!

Anonymous said...

Love the 80's night...how fun! I talked to April and would love to send you an invite to my blog. E-mail me at gjsk4@att.net your e-mail address and I'll send you one.

Cami D. said...

That looks so fun! I too hope that tankinis and the tank top under shirts never go out or I'm in a world of trouble. Thank heavens crimped hair and side ponytails are in our past! ha ha looks like fun!