Wednesday, August 12, 2009

One Special Woman I Will Surely Miss

Grandma! I LOVE my Grandma Naylor! She is a fun vibrant woman who is bossy, sweet and loving all at the same time! On July 29th she suffered a heart attack and was sadly taken from this life. It was a shock to us all because we all thought she still had plenty of time left here on this earth. One of the neatest things and also comforting things about her passing is that she was able to get SO many things in before she died. She grew up in the Colonies in Mexico and was able to take her children back for a reunion to visit the home she grew up in and the burial place of her parents and some of her siblings. This was something they'd talked about doing for years and it was neat to see that become a reality! She also had her 80th birthday where almost all her kids flew in to surprise her for the fun celebration. She also went on a trip with my parents and was able to spend time with even more family members in Colorado. I think a lot of us find comfort in the fact that she is now with her sweetheart and left quite a legacy behind!
There are SO many memories I have of her and I wanted to record some of the ones that stick out most in my mind.
Grandma...
*Always rambling something off in Spanish (and how she wanted all her children and grandchildren to learn it). "Mira" was the one word I will always remember her saying to me.
*Her infectious high pitched laugh--you couldn't help but laugh too.
*My Grandma was STYLIN! She always looked so pretty. She had nice clothes with matching purses, jewlrey, and make up to accompany her look. Check out her sunglasses in this picture! (this was taken with Hudson and Harrigan, a couple DJ's from one of our country music stations here in Houston.They were at a restaurant we were eating at this summer. We even won free Splashtown tickets). I love her shades here!
*She would always talk about the wrinkle proof fabric she'd buy and make sure you really noticed it.
*Her pink hair tape she would religiously put on every night to keep her hair in place. I can't recall a time when she didn't do this! She was clockwork and kept the pink hair tape company in business!
Kristi and I decided to give it a try. We slept in her nightgowns and taped our hair and couldn't figure out how she really did this every night of her life.
*Her metal combs she had to have.
*And her hair appointments she couldn't miss!
*She had a purse (handbag, as she would often call it) to match every outfit.
*Inside those "handbags" we could always find double mint gum.
*She could crack her gum better than anyone I know. I always wanted her to teach me how to do it, but I never could pick it up.
*Her beautiful singing voice. She would sing hymns all the time especially while she cleaned.
*Both verses of "You are my Sunshine", "I see London, I see France, I see Stacy's underpants", "Whose that knocking at my door?", "Good Morning Merry Sunshine"
*The smell of vicks vapor rub. She would rub this on her chest and put a little in her nose at night. ( I remember this more when I was in high school)
*Her nail polish and lip stick selection. She could have opened her own shop.
*Christmases at her house in Phoenix. We'd stay either at her house or at the motel they owned and would have fun family get togethers.
*Her long nails that all of us grandkids benefited from. Oh how we loved her good arm or back tickles!
*She was the chorister in her ward for years and I remember her using her long leading stick. I even got to sit on the stand with her a couple of times.
*When asking her how she slept she would reply, "With my eyes closed!" Or when asking her how she was "Just Fat and Sassy" was a usual reply.
*Putting nuts in all deserts.
*Adding onions, lots of them, to dinners.
*Dowsing food with pepper.
*Her yummy avocado sandwiches (Toasted bread with a bit of mayo loaded with avocado, onion, tomato and lots of salt and pepper). Pretty much food all around reminds me of her! Cheese or Chicken Enchiladas, Chicken Consume, Chicken Divan, her batches of burritos she would always whip up to have as a quick easy meal. Her roast, potatoes, carrots and gravy she would make for dinners on Sunday. Not to forget the cucumber & onion soaked in olive oil and vinegar. Her love for green corn tamales (and how Texas NEVER has them).
I'll always be grateful for the time she taught me how to make fudge and divinity last winter. Her cooking was to die for! I'm glad I learned a trick or two from her kitchen skills. This woman could cook!
*Candies. She loved a good treat after a meal. See's Candies, Peanut or almond M&M's (the most easy to find when she was around).

This is a four generation photo we had taken when Sydney was only a few months old. I always wanted to get an updated picture taken with all my girls and we took one, one night when most of us were in our jammies. It didn't turn out too well, but the memory is still there.

I love this picture of her with my cousins Carie and Sarah.
I have memories of being with my Great-Grandmother and I'm glad that my kids will have a few of being with theirs (with GG).

I'm so glad I took this picture because it's the only one I have of her with Shayla. (Isabelle is not sleeping here, just blinking)
This was last Christmas in Old Town Springs. I think the same week she taught Allie and I how to make her fudge and divinity. YUM!

I really can't believe she is gone! I know it's all part of life and one day we'll all have to go too, but man are we ever going to miss her spark! She was a fun loving woman that left a true legacy! I'm so glad that my kids were able to spend some time with her (their GG) and though those times will be slightly remembered in their young minds, they can still hear fun stories about her time with them and how Sydney was flapping her underarms (or relief society arms as we sometimes call them) and grandma said with her teasing voice, "Just you wait, Sydney, I will be up in heaven pointing my finger at you and saying I knew it, I knew you would get them too!" She was a good woman!
I love you Grandma! You definitely made your mark on this world! You were a great example to me and I will miss you dearly!

1 comment:

Allie said...

Love this post Stacy! What a remarkable job you did with details about Grandma, you have a good memory! I loved reading it b/c with each description, I could literally hear her voice in my head as I read your post! She truly was unforgettable though, wasn't she. She did leave such an amazing legacy in her children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren. I am so lucky to be married into a clan that Mary Naylor started! My memories from that day she taught us to make fudge and divinity are so close to my heart. Love your tribute. She sure loved her Stacy.