Monday, October 12, 2009

Spencer is 5

Spencer turned 5!!
9-9-09
(pretty cool date, eh?)

FIVE THINGS WE LOVE ABOUT SPENCER
1. He's the best brother and his sisters LOVE him to pieces. With plenty of girls in the house he's a good sport of watching Cinderella, Swan Princess, and most Princess movies requested in our home. On many occasions, he'll even be the prince, the knight or the dad when playing house or dress ups. (Though the girls still get the wrestling, teasing, and punching practice he needs to get out of his system).

2. He has the best sniffer on the planet and can smell things a mile away. Seriously, he's got super sniffing powers!!! "Somefin' (always) stinks" or "somefin' (always) smells good!"

3. He's the only blue-eyed person in our family. All girls have brown, Dad has green and Spencer got blue. And I love them!
4. He comes up with some pretty creative answers for questionnaires . Take a look at this one done by our church primary. We kept getting funny comments from people at church.
5. Last, but not least, this kid is a great climber! He can go up doorways, swing sets and outside street signs. Don't believe me, take a look for yourself!

Nick Names for this little guy: Spence, Spenny, Spenners, Sponsor, Spencey, Bah-lew (that would be from Saryn), Buddy, Pal, Tiger


Now for the party. Can you find Jeff and I in this team photo?
We did a sports theme and had different stations set up for them to do (throw balls through hula hoops, T-ball, soccer). These poor boys were blazing hot with this weather! All the outdoor activities lasted about 10 minutes because it was so hot!


They still had fun and were good "sports" about the whole thing.
Others weren't so happy. Sydney was sad to be one of the only girls at the party. She got up early with me to ref a volleyball game and maybe was just plain tired. Who knows? She definitely had her melt down though!

I borrowed a really cool cake pan from a friend's sis-in-law. I think it may even have sold me on getting one some day. You can put any type of filling on the inside. This round I just made two separate cake flavors for a colorful addition. I'm really trying to focus on these hexagons and pentagons here folks! Never knew that soccer balls alternated those two shapes.

Spence seemed pretty pleased with it and that was all that mattered to me!

The high light was probably the soccer ball pinata. What boy isn't excited to hit something with a long stick and see candy flying all over!
Bubba and Pappo were even able to come for a birthday visit. Grandpa Kirkham kept Spence and Renny busy in their "boats" for a good chunk of time. We love their visits and can't wait for them to return!

Happy Birthday, Bud!

11 comments:

123 checkoutourfamily said...

How cute! Happy 5 Spencer! Great job on the cake!

Sunnie said...

such a cute cake! way to go. way better than some of the b-day ones i have made!

oodlesofoversons said...

He's a cutie! Nice work on the cake, Stac. You're a pro!

Kimberly said...

Wow what a climber! Happy Birthday Spencer.

eyre blog said...

thank you thank you for posting. you are an inspiration and I love these updates. What a cool birthday party! and I had an ah-ha moment with the hexagon/pentagon thing. My soccer balls never look that good. I have always only drawn hexagons and it never matched up. Thank you for that too.

The Rich Family said...

WOW---5 years old. so stinkin' cute. It was fun to have a quick chat the other day. Miss you guys.

Jenni said...

What a cutie pie! Happy Birthday Spence! Stac, that cake looks spectacular! Good job champ! :)

Ash said...

Spencer is the funniest kid. I LOVE that primary spotlight it makes me laugh so much! Your cake turned awesome too. And I can't believe he can climb that high! Oh, and cute pic of the kids in the clouds!

Clint, Marianne, Sage, Charlotte, Emery and Ivy said...

Whoa, how did I miss this post? Happy Bday Spencer! I love how he can climb the street sign! That takes skills. So. You should totally do a blog book. I'll be ordering my second in December and can't wait. For my girls' books, I copy and paste everything except the pictures. I doesn't let you do that. Then I just change the pronouns around so it's like I'm writing to her specifically. I'm WAY behind on Sage's book b/c I just starting doing them individually, but Charlotte's is up to date. It's easy to put the pics on the front. When you get there, call me and I'll walk you through it! love ya.

Clint, Marianne, Sage, Charlotte, Emery and Ivy said...

Oh and, FRIGGIN AWESOME CAKE.

loven it! said...

wow!! i can't believe he is 5!! i also can't believe i did not see you while we were in texas!! we were all sick with the sickos! all my kids had the stomach flu and britten got strep too!! bummer!! we will see you next time!! are you coming here anytime soon??