Monday, August 23, 2010

Back To School

It's that time of year again. Only this time instead of sending one kid to school, I'm sending two! It's a weird feeling -- being a parent of two school aged children. Two lunches to pack, two kids to hound to get their homework done, two classrooms to keep up on and more paperwork sent home each week. And this time it feels so different sending Spencer (as a kindergartner) then it did with Sydney. I feel like he's a little more dependent, more easily distracted and he still hasn't got the shoe tying thing down yet. But he IS ready. He needs to go. It's time and I'm excited for this little guy! Especially since he has the privilege of having the kindergarten teacher that taught Sydney! Mrs. Buerger was great and we're excited for his other teacher Mrs. Sealy. We got to meet her for the first time at "Meet the Teacher" night.
The morning of the 1st day of school I've played "I Have Confidence" (from the sound of music) in the past. This year we have a new song called "Confidence" that was taken from the song "Popular" from the play Wicked. It's cute and a little more fun and upbeat for us. we played a few times for the kids after breakfast and then we did our usual out the door pictures.
Jeff was able to go to work late so he could be there for the first BIG day.
Spencer has been so excited about his Bakugon backpack. The day he got it he kept asking when school would start and kept wearing it even while he'd ride his bike around the cul-de-sac. We even used it to put our mail in one day. Sydney had no desire for a backpack this year. She was adamant about getting a side pack.
We dropped Spence off first. He looked so cute sitting there and the poor kindergarten teachers were probably SO annoyed with all the parents of these little people taking pictures and waiting around the classroom. I had to snag a couple quick ones of him before we dropped off Sydney the big 2nd grader.
Remember no cheating Spence!
Love this kid!!
Sydney (wish I had another picture of her to put here) was more hesitant this year to go then past yrs, but we are thrilled with the teacher she got and think it will be an easy adjustment back into elementary school life.

Now it's just me and my 2 girls for the remainder of the day.
This is what we did while the other two were off at school...
My friend (who always puts on fun things for the kids) had us over to play and frost cookies for the school aged kids to come home to. Here's what we made for our 2nd grader.
And this is what we made for Spencer. These Star Wars cookie cutters were perfect for him!
Then we met up at McD's for lunch with cousins to play with. My two sis-in-laws (Aly & Allie) and I spent over 2 hrs. talking and enjoying the afternoon while letting the kids do their thing on the play area. I pretty much went straight from here to get the kids from school.
(This is the next little group of cousins who are now mobile and able to interact with each other which makes it fun--they are with in a few months of each other in age).
Spencer was so excited to see his Star Wars cookies waiting for him.
And Sydney was thrilled to see all those letters lined up spelling out her name. She wasn't sad to share a couple "Y's" and an "E" with Shay, Saryn and I.
Chalk it up as a successful 1st day of school for this 2010-2011 school year!

4 comments:

eyre blog said...

Great post! thanks for slapping these up here. I can't believe the picture of the three "babies." they are getting old! Mrs. Beurger huh?! tell her hello. can't wait to talk and talk when you get here.

Emma Jo said...

Love back to school posts, love the cookies, love the adorable kids!!

The Rich Family said...

So fun to see updated pics of your fam...miss ya tons...

Kristin said...

I love these back to school posts! Aubrey was so adamant about her backpack being a messenger bag last year too! That's so funny. I also laughed about Spencer riding his bike with his backpack on.

I'm waiting for the post on New York!