Monday, April 21, 2008

Sing Us the Song of a Piano...WoMan

So, I'd like to say goodbye to something that's been very dear to me for the past several years. This little guy has been a good friend to run away to on trying and difficult days. I LOVE music. I took piano when I was younger, but for whatever stubborn reason, I never stuck with it. I have always regretted quitting. So, last August, I started taking lessons again from a good friend. I think music is really important and can be such a comfort and an escape from the rif-raf life can bring. I thought it would be good to pick up on what I stopped doing so many years earlier. It's been a goal of mine to play and there's no time like the present, right?   
I'm going to miss our evening music practices upstairs in the study after the kids go down. Jeff strumming on his guitar and me pluggin away on my keyboard with my headphones. 
And now...I'd like to introduce you to the newest member of the family...
I don't know who in the heck Henry F. Miller is, but he will forever be welcomed in our home. I'm sure we'll build a long lasting relationship that only time and lots of effort can achieve. Isn't he a beaut? 
Look at that shine! And I'm a little proud of my photography skills with my point and shoot.
Sydney's been really cute about the whole music practice thing.  One day, in the very near future, she will be taking lessons of her own (she gets a few from her mother, but that's not saying much). She's been composing her own music which she's voluntarily hung on the wall.
Here's a closer look at what's she's done. I like some of her own invented notes. Can you tell which one's they are? 
I'm excited for Sydney to learn. We always said when our first child turns five we had to get a piano. Sydney will be six this October so we still had a little wiggle room. BUT, thanks to craigslist, a good researcher (that would be, Jeff), and a great deal,we got our piano. So, come on over and I'll play something for you!

17 comments:

Allie said...

It's so beautiful! I can't wait to come over and see it!

Abby said...

You must be getting good if you graduated to that! (Now does Jeff get to graduate to a fancy shmancy guitar set-up too?) I too regret quitting and my crappy skills. I love the blue bonnet pics--you are all so pretty, and the scenery can't be beat. My favorite is the "typical" picture where none of you are looking--I keep waiting for someone to send a picture like that in a Christmas card...I dare you!

123 checkoutourfamily said...

Oh how I wish I could play. We have a keyboard but I'm way out of practice at sightreading and I pluck out notes. I really can only play with one hand. Sad times! I think it's awesome that you're taking advantage of it now instead of later. I usually think "some day" and well, it'll always be some day. We also have a guitar that I haven't done much with either. I need to practice more. :)

Slim said...

Thanks for sneaking onto my blog so I coul sneak onto yours! Paul Scharmann has been a sneak too! he told me he'd been on yours! (From Emily's I guess.) You learn a lot from blogs -- now I know you play the piano. So happy for you, your piano is gorgeous!!! Love your blog set up too.

Sunnie said...

i am impressed with your ambition. way to go! i should have had you play us a little something yesterday. next time for sure.

Ash said...

I can't wait for the recital! So, are you a real pianist? Funny word, huh?

Clint, Marianne, Sage, Charlotte, Emery and Ivy said...

Yea!! I so badly want to take piano lessons again! I, like you, never stuck w/ it when I was little and now regret it big time. Congrats on the upgrade, and kudos on the excellent photography skills! That's mad talent.

oodlesofoversons said...

Congratulations...that is one good looking piano...I'm a little envious! And I love Syd's music. How cute is that?

loven it! said...

wow! nice piano! that is a nice step up from the keyboard. i want a concert next time i am in town.

The Learner said...

That is AWESOME! I'm so glad that you can have a piano in your home. I find that it brings so much laughter and fun and peace in ours. Have fun with it! Maybe we can learn a duet sometime. :)

The Learner said...

A duet, as in on the piano. I guess, better said, a 2 part harmony.

Krystal said...

Wow!!! I'm so excited for you!!! Henry is beautiful! Ok, you seriously boost my ego as a piano teacher. ;) I can't wait to hear you next time! (Yes everyone, she is a REAL pianist! She's my best student!)

So, no baby yet, but maybe tonight... I'll be sure to fill you in. I don't know if I'll stick around though, she just said today "I think it's going to hurt worse than I thought." um...yikes.

Krystal said...

p.s. How adorable is Sydney's music??? I love it!!!

scraphappymama said...

love the piano. does jeff want to research pianos for me? i need to take lessons again and brush up on my long lost piano skills. thanks for the tutu party - you've inspired me (have you posted that yet?!?!?!?)

Natalie N said...

Hey Stacy! It's been a while since I checked your blog. I LOVED the bluebonnet pictures below. Heidi & I have already talked about coming out there next April to see those. Looks like you guys found a darling location.

And congrats on the new piano. I think that's awesome that you've picked your skills back up again. I love that you found a great deal on craigslist; the piano is beautiful! Welcome Henry! You crack me up.

xoxo

Kristin said...

Your piano is beautiful! That's awesome that you took up piano again. I quit when I was younger, too, and regret it. You're inspiring me to take it up again, too.

Amber Larsen said...

That is a beautiful piano. How exciting!