We've been debating putting the kids on a swim team this summer, but as a last minute decision, we decided to just do it. The kids (Syd and Spence) were able to finally do something together at the same time, the cost was great and through some good friends we found a program that was a little more laid back on some of the commitments. It just made sense.
Sydney and Spence are in the 6 and under group. For this age the meets are optional. We skipped the first meet (last week), but gave it a try this week to see how the kids would fair. The main requirement to participate in a meet is that the swimmer had to swim the length of the pool. At practices the team holds occasional "cotton candy challenges" where they are tested to see how far they can swim. When they can finish the pool length without any help, they earn a bucket of cotton candy.
As the two kids watched their other friends complete the challenge successfully and walk off with their coveted cotton candy, neither of the kids were able to do this the first round. BUT, they worked hard and were able to do it the next time (Sydney first and then Spencer a few days later). For the meet, there would be no coaches in the pool with them and I was wondering how my kids would really do. The coaches have always been right next to them during the practices so this was going to be a whole new experience! I was even nervous for them.
Neither of them were excited to get up early and go because they were both scared. We made a deal, that if they just tried and could do what they did during their cotton candy challenge, we'd make a trip to the dollar store later that day.
Jeff took the kids early Sat. morning to be there for morning warm up and I brought the other two kids a little later. Here's Sydney marked and ready for heat #18 (just after Spencer's race).
In these 3 videos: (1) Sydney is swimming and Spencer is cheering so hard for her. He kept saying, "Come on, come on!", Sydney, you're almost there!" It seriously is so cute--I even teared up listening to him cheer on his big sis!
(2) The second one is little Spence swimming on his very own (He kept telling me his tummy hurt and mine did too! Darn those nerves!) He swam his little heart out (with a couple breaks in between) and finished dead last, but he was so excited and proud of himself! Good Job, Spenny! I think he was also VERY excited to be swimming in the lane next to one of his best buddies ever, cousin Blake!
(3) This last video is from the team pumping each other up with some fun chants. Spence really got into it! One of my favorite things, besides being there to support my kids was some of the kids had drawn on their backs "Eat My Bubbles!" I guess that's the kind of trash talking you get with swimming. Maybe Michael Phelps had that written somewhere on his swim attire. And I think the producers of Finding Nemo should be very proud!
3 comments:
How cute!! Spencer cheering on his sis is the cutest thing I've heard in a long time. I for sure would have been crying, that's just so sweet.
They are doing GREAT!!! First experiences on swim team are the best! Way to go Syd and Spence! Loved Spencer's chant dance. It is seriously so fun for the kids and so good for them. It is the best when your kids cheer each other on, too!
I loved hearing about swim team. It brings back memories from when we first moved to Texas as a kid. I loved that you call your Spencer Spenny. That is what my brothers buddies in HS called him. HEE HEE. We sure miss you guys!!
Post a Comment