Thursday, July 16, 2009

Pets...So Not Ready for One Of These

I grew up having pets in the house. My mom was raised on a ranch and has a love for animals. My dad, on the other hand, was the one who could care less about having pets and in fact backed over (accidentally) one of our dogs so long ago. I remember crying on the stairs for hours after finding out the news. Although there are sad times, I was happy to have a pet while I was young. Did I feed it every day? Well, no. That was mom's job. Did I let it out to go to the bathroom? Occasionally, but mom would usually do it. My point is...I am the mom now and Spencer has been BEGGING for a pet for a solid month now. When this kid gets something in his mind, he cannot let it rest! We've been to the pet store to curb his nagging. We went to the mall one evening to let them hold the puppies as they let them out in the little oval enclosed area to roam around traipsing into each others pee (so gross), and my brothers both have had dogs the kids love to play with. None of that seemed to work. We did the fish thing about a year ago. Sydney named her fish after one of our neighbors "Emily" and Spencer got creative and chose to name his blue fish "Green". The kids were so excited for the first week or so and then I was the one who ended up cleaning the fish bowls and feeding them. In fact, when the poor things died, I really was so sad to flush them down the porcelain throne. So we've been on a no pet stand still ever since.

Luckily (or something like that) there are a few frogs that hang out in our yard during the summertime. Jeff boxed one up and we surprised the kids with it the next day. They were ecstatic and decided to name it Trinity (Sydney came up with that - there was a girl in her dance class with that name).
So happy to have something they could call their own (for at least a little while),they got out the old fish bowl, placed a few rocks inside with a little water and took turns holding it.

This only lasted a short amount of time. Not even half a day. We kept talking about how it probably missed its family and really needed to get something to eat, so they held him one last time and let him hop away.

Then just yesterday I saw Spencer sitting kind of funny looking over his shoulder. He kept talking to someone. I looked closer and found out that it was a fly he had named Jet ( the name of my brother Kelly's dog). I don't know what we'll  do. If I had my choice we would just keep making trips to the pet store until one day we finally give in. I see the benefits of having a pet, but I'm just not quite ready for one yet. Poor Spence, he'll have to hang in just a little longer.

5 comments:

Genjunky said...

I saw an idea - probably in parenting magazine. Share a pet ! I think they chose hamsters and rotated between families for a six week stint each. Interesting idea. I would shorten the time myself. Good luck with the pet idea. I am tired of ours as well - probably due to lack of space and constant dog hair, but it is always a challenge to go on vacation even for a long day - you always have to get someone to watch the dog. Smaller is easier - you can take them with you and their backyard messes aren't so large. . .Mom always seems in charge of the pets. Why is that? I had to clean the fish tank in the end too. hmmm. Missed you at the reunion!

Monson Family said...

oh man that boy is so cute!!! Jet would be so flattered to know that a fly was named after her.
I feel you on the pet thing. It is hard work - and inconvenient!
But Liam and Arie love love love Jet.

You are in a pickle...there is no "no maintenance" pet.

loven it! said...

LOVE the picture of syd and the frog. too cute!! you should get a cat because they are pretty low maintenance! dogs are a lot of work esp. puppies! did you guys make it home safe and sound and with air?? totally had to drive the honda the past two days without air and thought of you! the kids faces were bright red in the back!

Sonja said...

I ended up with 2 dogs, 3 cats, and 7 dead fish because I gave in. We are down to 2 cats now (the dogs got out of the yard and haven't returned, and we sadly lost one of the cats). My advice, hold out as LONG as you can. They can't take them to college, on a mission, or most likely in their first apartment even when they're married. The pet will be YOURS... FOREVER!!!!!

Kimberly said...

We caved in once and said we would take care of two puppies that needed a home. I knew by the next day I couldn't keep it up. We kept them 4 days before we took them to the shelter to find new homes. My boys love pets too, so I feel bad, but at least I know we tried.