Sunday, September 12, 2010

Spencer's Science Lab

Spencer turned 6 on September 9, 2010.

For months he's been constantly talking about science and being a scientist, so coming up with a birthday theme this year was a breeze. I think this was one of my favorite parties to plan because it brought back memories of an elementary education science class I took in college and loved! I never knew science could be so much fun until I took that class. So here is what we did...
The invitation that went out.
The scientists that showed up to get their lab coats and safety glasses. These babies were worn for a matter of 5 minutes or less, but I think it made for a cute picture.
Blurry picture, but this was the lab set up. The experiments included:
*Making green slime
*Mixing dry ice with apple juice
*Blowing up balloons with baking soda and vinegar. We did this with water bottles filled with a small amount of vinegar and then placed a balloon filled with baking soda over the rim of the bottle. The kids slowly let the baking soda fall into the bottle from the balloon and voila--a blown up balloon!
Here is Spencer with cousin Liam.
The blank cake from Costco we decorated for one cute birthday boy. I think I did a pretty descent job--just don't look to close at his arms.
Our last and final experiment was making a geyser. The two key ingredients are diet coke and mentos. Here's Jeff and Spence preparing the geyser.
Jeff was nice enough to "let" me pull the trigger...
We did it another time and let Spencer have the honor of pulling the trigger.
It was a hit! Especially with all the fire ants that come visit us this time of year!

6 Reasons I LOVE this little boy...

1. Though he's a tough little boy and is crazy as can be at times, he has the most tender heart! He once saw me doing dishes (this was a week when he had been on dish duty the week before) and said, "Mom? Are you doing those all alone?" "Yes, Bud" (thinking it was no big deal--I usually do). Then he immediately started running down the stairs and said, "I'll come help you." I have to say this whole thing got me a little choked up at that moment!

2. He has some pretty unique dance moves and they actually look great! Kind of break dancer-ish. The kids will do neighborhood dance offs in the cul-de-sac with all the other kids and I have to say that he really can bust a move!! Maybe he gets that from me : ).

3. I love when, each night as we are tucking him in bed, he wants to hear a story. Not like a story book story, but a personal story of what happened when I was his age or if Jeff's tucking him in he wants to hear about Jeff's childhood. Some stories he continually asks to hear again and again are when I saw an animal or when I got hurt or when uncle Sean fell on his face when he was jumping on a pogo stick. Sometimes I have to really think of one and I love that he reminds me of my younger years.

4. I love that he is so easy to please, especially when it comes to school lunches. If he could have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich every single day -- maybe even every meal -- he would be the happiest kid on the planet! Makes my life easy--no questions needed when I'm packing those lunch boxes, just slap that sandwich together and he is set. Now if I could just get him to eat a few more veggies...

5.And while we're on the subject of school, this whole year has
been a pleasant surprise! I thought it would be a constant battle
dragging him out of bed each morning (just like preschool
pretty much was )and it has really been the opposite. It's
been a smooth transition and I'm pretty grateful for his early
rising school going attitude! How can I make this same
transition work on Sundays for church???

6. He is the little boy I have always dreamed of having. Though I
never thought he'd haveblond hair : ). I love him like crazy and
I'm thankful he belongs to me!

Love you, Spencer and Happy Birthday!!

No comments: