Saturday, October 23, 2010

Chicago For A Day and A Birthday Girl

This isn't the best picture to start the post off with (blurry), but it was an exciting memory and I wanted to add it in here for that reason. October 18th (a Tuesday) Jeff called me from work and proposed we take a family trip to Chicago the floowing day on the 19th for Sydney's 8th birthday (minus Shayla who would stay home with Grandma Monson). It sounded exciting. We had no other pressing obligations that day besides the kids being in school. So we had Shay sleep over at my moms that night and we loaded up the kids early that next morning for the airport.
We didn't need to pack any luggage because we weren't staying the night (which made the trip that much easier). All we took was a big backpack filled with a few books and activities for the airplane ride and some snacks for the trip. We also brought the double stroller since we figured we'd be doing lots of walking and the kids would need a break. That was it. Those two things...and my camera, but that comes with me pretty much wherever I go anyway.

The kids slept most of the plane ride there since it was still so early and then we landed--in Chicago for the day!

The kids were so excited! We took a train from the airport to downtown.
We played rock, paper, scissors a few times and tried holding our breath when we'd go through tunnels. The autumn leaves outside the train windows were fun to look at too since we don't get to see much of those colorful trees in Houston.
I have to say it is cold in October there because as soon as we stepped outside we hit a gust of wind and burrrrrrrrrr! I was beginning to think I should have packed heavier coats (that we don't really own). I was curious to see what this place looked like because I kept hearing what a cool city it was. When we turned a corner and saw the river I was so excited to be there. Or maybe it's just traveling in general that's exciting to me. But I loved that we were able to have the kids with us to experience it together.
The city was lined with fun Lego statues.
We took a few pictures with some of our favorites.
For Sydney's birthday lunch we asked around for a yummy pizza place and ended up going to Pizzaria UNO. Not quite sure what she's doing with her hands here, but I know that she felt pretty special eating at a fun pizza place in a cool city on her birthday.
And we had to warm ourselves with some hot chocolate.
None of us had ever tried a Chicago style pizza before and they are actually really good. Different and lots of bread, but still really good. They put all the cheese on top of the bread and then put the sauce and toppings on top of the cheese. And since we usually get just a plain ol' cheese pizza this is what it looked like. I was wondering if Spencer would eat it from seeing all that tomato sauce on top (those tomatoes are not really a love of his), but he ate it right up.
We went to the Disney Store and the workers sang happy birthday and gave Sydney all sorts of fun Disney coloring pages, Disney magnets and Disney stickers. Then we headed over to The American Girl store. It is unbelievable! I couldn't believe all the little details and accessories that go in to a doll. I never really got into the doll thing when I was little (maybe cabbage patch kids), but it was fun to see all the girls lined up to get a picture with their doll or to go to the doll beauty salon, or the doll hospital or to get their dolls ears pierced.

Spencer and Saryn did a little performance on this stage in the store.
Then Spencer got tired of being in a "girlie" store.
On our way to the Playstation place we saw an Indiana Jones Lego man.
The kids played a few video games at the Playstation place.
Then we headed over to Lincoln Park and to see the giant BEAN. I think it is suppose to be more of a cloud, but it looks much more like a giant bean. I like Sydney's expression in this picture.
Getting creative with the camera...
Can you tell we had fun?
The kids enjoyed playing and climbing.
I don't know what these two were discussing, but I loved capturing this daddy daughter conversation.
Did I mention that this little baby of mine is now EIGHT? Where has the time gone?
Waiting for a taxi to come take us over to Willis Tower (more commonly known as Sears Tower).
The kids were gearing up for their first Taxi experience.
This is the view of Lake Michigan from the 110th floor of the Willis Tower. Nice!
They had these great/scary inclosed balconies that were windows all around (Jeff was standing in another balcony taking this picture)--even on the base so when you look down all you can see is the very looooooong way down to all the surrounding buildings. Did I ever mention that I have a fear of heights? Don't believe me? Then you should read here. Hence the 1/2 step out onto the balcony. My heart was racing seeing my kids out there so comfortable on that ledge!! OK...even looking at these pictures and seeing Saryn in that corner make all those jittery feeling surface!!
Sydney and Spencer were super thrilled to lay down for this one. My face probably matches theirs while I take it! Ahh!
For the wrap up of the trip--it was needed. We needed to do something fun and spontaneous like that! I loved that we were able to make it work on Sydney's birthday. Hope the other kids won't expect major day trips like that when they turn 8 (where an airplane is involved). I tried telling the flight attendant that we had a birthday girl and I was hoping she would be able to say something over the speakers. She either forgot or I made her feel like a glorified waitress and she didn't want to. It was a fun day and we were able to come strait home to put the kids in bed. Shayla was lucky enough to stay an extra night with Grandma.

On to the birthday bash.

I let Sydney choose a few friends to come over for Pizza, pina coladas, cake and movies. What started off as a few girls turned into a longer list, but I figured, the more the merrier...she's turning 8 and we can be crazy this year (or I should say again--these parties always seem to just be big). They were so giggly and goofy.

Here's the 8 cake.
After eating and cake the girls colored fashion dolls and then we painted nails while they watched Barbie and a Mermaid Tale. It's a cute movie. The favored nail polish was a glow in the dark blue color that Bubba (Grandma Kirkham) had given Sydney awhile back. We were scraping the bottle to get the very last nail painted. Then the girls would run to the bathroom and shut the door and turn the lights off to see their glowing nails. Remind me to pick up some more of that for a future gift for someone. It was a hit!
The girls showing off their art.
And this is what Sydney typed up just a minute ago: I had a vary fun berthda porty.my frrends are very fun and nise.

8 Reasons Why I Love This Girl...

1. She is the type of person who genuinely feels excitement for others' successes and can express it in such a marvelous way! One moment that comes to mind (not really a success story, but a happy for others story) is when Spencer got his long awaited Spike the Dinosaur for Christmas last year! He was pumped and as you can tell, she was pumped for him! I really love that about her!
2. She is musical and has always been musical! We have a video of her singing "My Country Tis of Thee" all the way through when she was only 2 years old! I got a picture book with the words to the song and would read it to her often when she was little. She picked up on it fast and ended up singing it at a Kirkham Family Reunion in a microphone with her Grandpa Kirkham (Pappo) holding her. It was awesome! I need to get get her into one of those singing and dancing groups like Sunshine Generation or Chalk Circle. She really shines when she's performing!

3. She loves to sit around and just chat. She is great company and sometimes I have to remind myself to stop doing things around the house, pull up a chair and enjoy a fun conversation with my daughter. I love that she does that for me!

4. I may have said this before, but I love that she has the same body clock as her daddy. Come 9:30 at night, she is ready to call it a day and crawl into bed (or on the couch or wherever you happen to be at 9:30 p.m. if you're Jeff).

5. I love that she will change Shayla's diaper for me. And that she's really old enough to do that!

6. I love that she has her own way of doing things and her own style in clothes and hair. I'm learning to bite my lips a little more, but she is blossoming and coming into her own little self and I need to take a step back a let her be her a bit more.

7. I love that she can flip pancakes like a pro.

8. I love that she'll get all the kids together to read stories on the couch It's fun to see all four of them cuddled up together with some books. She's done that several times and it makes for peaceful precious moments.

Happy 8th Birthday Squidders!!

No comments: