Thursday, March 17, 2011

Can I Vent A Little?

I feel like I need to write down the crazy week we've had, so allow me to be a little whiney.

Remember -- it's spring break -- I think that is an important factor here. The past few days I feel like our spring break has gone a little bit like this burnt pizza I cooked last night. Lots of little mishaps going on.

Sad #1: Jeff is traveling most of the week.
Explanation: I would say nice timing there, Bud, but he really didn't have a choice in the matter. I just really like being around the guy and miss him when he's gone.
Positives: I'm a big girl and this is all good for me to do alone--home, family, stuff...

Sad #2: Jeff only has one key to his car. That one key was lost by yours truly.
Explanation: The reason I misplaced the key was because the spot where a key chain could go has been broken for a long time. So it's just been sort of the floating key we've been able to keep track of. Up until a few days ago. I cannot for the life of me remember where I put it after taking the key out of the ignition. A pocket? My purse? Did it slip under the couch cushion somehow? Still hasn't shown up yet. Where are you little lonely key of ours?
Positives: Still looking. Hopefully it will show up soon!

Sad #3: Jeff needed a car to get to the airport. I need a car for the week. Oh,what to do...
Explanation: He woke up at 2:30 a.m (yes a.m.) to get a few work items done before flying out only to drive home so that we could load the kids up at 4:20 a.m. to head for the airport.
Positives: Waking the kids up was my idea. I was completely on board (except for the fact that I worry about him when he doesn't get a lot of sleep and having to go into work that early was a concern). It's spring break so the kids and I were able to come home and jump right back in bed sleeping in until 9. Jeff had a relaxed schedule the next morning so he was able to sleep in a bit too.

Sad #4: Locksmiths are expensive.
Explanation: Not only did we have 2 keys made for Jeff's car, but when we bought our van, it only came with 1 key as well (2 remotes, but only 1 key--our next car we'll be sure will have 2 keys). So we figured to have the locksmith make a total of 3 very needed keys. Something we should have done long ago. We had a descent idea about what it would cost and were ready to pay for it, but I was floored how off I was. $$$ see ya money! I hope I leave my keys in the car sometime soon just so I can feel good about the purchases we made for these things!!!
Positives: We are now the proud owners of 2 sets of keys per vehicle.

Sad #5: A head wound from nursery
Explanation: No, it wasn't from a toy thrown across the room because I didn't give a kid more fruit snacks. That actually would of made for a better story. The last 10 min. of church I went to throw something away and saw another piece of trash in route, but when I picked it up I came up so fast that I hit my head on a corner of an open cabinet door. It hurt so bad. I even had to brace myself for a minute. There conveniently were baby wipes in the cupboard so I dabbed one on the top of my head and there was so much blood. Needless to say I had the primary president and Jeff in a family bathroom helping me check how bad it was.
Positives: Um, there are some really good people in this area! People took my kids, I had a few phone calls from people checking in on me after church, I got a ride home with someone and she also brought dinner in. I felt so spoiled--and it turned out to be just a really good scratch. I never knew head wounds could bleed so bad. I didn't need all that help, but I have to say it was nice to come home and get cleaned up without worrying about the kids. Like I said, good people here!

Sad #6: Sydney tested positive for strep throat and scarlet fever.
Explanation: Strep throat has been going around and Sydney was feverish one day so i took her to see the Dr. the next and sure enough she got it. I wasn't prepared to hear scarlet fever. Isn't that something from way back when? I think my Grandma Naylor almost died from it when she was young. The Dr. assured me that it is just strep throat with a rash. Syd noticed her rash the day I took her in. It itches a bit, but she's doing fine.
Positives: I now know that scarlet fever isn't anything to fear. We are all medicated here and hope it stops with just one kid! I'm also glad my mom was still around to watch my other kids while we went to the Dr.

Sad #7: No water for 24 hrs.
Explanation: Sometimes people forget the smallest of details, you know, like paying a water bill for instance. Oh man...not fun...a little embarrassing...I like having water. I had to drive down to the water co. in person to pay with the exact cash. The kids and I looked awesome going in there. Oh, how I love a good shower!
Positives: This made me think about all those people in Japan who are dealing with not only no water, but also no homes to run to. It made the process of no water for 24 hrs. so much easier. I feel like the list I've written is so measly compared to what so many others are having to deal with right now.

Sad #8: One of my cousins (Jeremy Elmont) passed away over the weekend from a seizure.
Explanation:The seizure led to some brain-stem swelling and then it ruptured and there was no sign of brain activity since. It is such a sad situation and I feel so bad for the family! It's hard to say goodbye to people we love.
Positive: Sometimes it's tough finding the positives in the death of a loved one. Though still very difficult, time is a healer with things like this. It is also something we will all have to face some point in our life. Having the gospel in my life is such a blessing and it brings such a peaceful feeling during difficult times. I will continue to keep the Elmont family in my prayers!

Lots going on in our world and in our little Kirkham family. The burnt pizza was only a reminder that even if things don't look so good, good things can come from them (There's something about a little crispier cheese that make it taste that much better). I had to speak in church on overcoming life's challenges a few weeks ago and some of those talks and scriptures I read through came to mind this week. It's all about how we handle those road blocks that come our way that matter most.


9 comments:

James said...

Oh my!!!! When it rains it pours . . . hang in there.

James said...

This is NIcole

eyre blog said...

Stacy, you are AWESOME! oh how i wish marianne were here to laugh with me about this. She isn't coming until tomorrow so I'll be back! Thanks for recording this.

Allie said...

Great post! Not a great week though! So sorry you have had that windfall of yuckiness! Hope Syd gets better soon and now that Jeff is back hopefully yall can have some fun for the remainder of spring break. Love ya!

Emma Jo said...

Perspective really saves the day. Goodness gracious, what a week. Things can only get better at this point, right?

Ash said...

Vent away, girl. I can't believe you didn't consult me on the head wound! j/k I wouldn't have been able to do anything different. So, good job on learning the lessons were supposed to here. You are my best example of positiveness. I love that about you!

Natalie N said...

Vent on, sister! ;) I love how you had something positive to say after each bummer item on the list. My venting would have excluded those positive points, for sure. Hope this coming week is better!
Thinking of you.
xoxo

April said...

Sounds like you've had an awesome spring break! We really should have gone to lunch on Wednesday, I bet you needed some girl time!:) Glad your heads okay, mine hurt just reading that!!! Hope the rest of the week went better with Jeff home!

kevandcan said...

Good news is the week is over! Keep hanging in there with your great attitude.