Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Monson Family Reunion 2007

So, every two years we have a Monson Family Reunion. This year it was held at a huge cabin in the middle of nowhere. The town is called Altamont, UT, but to get to this cabin we had to drive on a long dirt road. The cabin itself was amazing. Check it out, if you're interested. http://www.hiddenspringsutah.com/ There was a paddle boat area, a rock wall, a gymnasium, pool, hot tub, game room, movie area, sand volleyball court, horse shoe, an open field, horse back riding, and pretty much whatever else you can think of. It was perfect to accommodate the 136 of us that showed up.

One of the highlights and #1 reason we made the long trip to Altamont was to see the woman that started it all. My 93yr. old Grandmother, Helen Campbell Monson. She's an amazing woman with faith that I hope to one day have, she has talents in music, poetry, cooking (she makes the best homemade bread in old soup cans) and many other things AND I can't forget her incredible whit (I remember a sign she hung in her kitchen that said, "Over sixty and still sizzlin' "). She has 11 children, 55 grandchildren, and (currently) 130 great-grandchildren!!! AND she can call them by name! Impressive! I think she studies our names and faces in her spare time. She also has a collection of eyeglasses that we love to pose in. If she could have it her way, she would love to be buried in a pair. One of her requests was that we get a picture with her wearing the glasses. Here's one of us.



I think the kids look especially cute. Saryn was trying to eat the mustache and Spencer's are about to fall off his tiny nose. If you notice very closely, there is a (button) pin on my grandmother's shirt that reads I Love Ken (my grandpa). Quick story that I love and need to record about the pins ...so, several years ago my Uncle Lee and Aunt Julie Monson gave these pins to my granparents. My grandpa also had an I Love Helen pin. They wore them on special occasion from time to time, but after my grandfather passed away (over 9 years ago) my grandma has worn her religiously for the passed 9 years. They are like a missionary badge. She lost one once and ordered 4 more. But the cute thing was, was that right after my grandpa died, my grandma walked into Relief Society that Sunday and every single RS sister in her ward had on an I love Helen button!! Isn't that the cutest story. Girls are so fun.


Here's one of the adults in Grandma's spec's. Grandma, Mom, Dad, Kristi, Noah, Me and Jeff.


6 comments:

Emma Jo said...

OK, I LOVE the glasses idea! That is the funniest. I can't believe such a huge family reunion but it sounded like a blast and such a neat place to have it...like your own personal hotel. Did I already mention how fun it was seeing ya'll?

Clint, Marianne, Sage, Charlotte, Emery and Ivy said...

I need to meet your g-ma!! Sounds like fun....we should do a Naylor reunion there. What are the chances of that happening??? Slim to none, or just none?

eyre blog said...

Sauce, you rock the blog world!

Sadie Lou said...

the glasses are sooo cute! your grandma sounds so fun:)

Christy said...

I love your grandma and her I love Ken button.... people like her make me want to go into geriatrics instead of pediatrics.

loven it! said...

i am laughing so hard right now that i am crying. i LOVE the family picture and it was great to hear the pin love story again!