I'm becoming a very big fan of traditions! I once read a book on fun family traditions. It was more of an idea book, but still fun to read and think about what traditions I want to adopt for my own family. One of the traditions my mom started was making cinnamon rolls every six months for general conference weekend. I think the tradition started off with her making them one year and ever since then, we've hounded her to make them -- sometimes traditions need that little extra push!
For some VERY ODD reason my mom wanted to make a different recipe. I was floored and insisted we make the Heather Humble original recipe (if you want it, let me know). So, this year we decided to have a cinnamon roll bake off. Allie and I were sure to win!
Here's my mom putting the goods into her new recipe. We gave her a hard time and talked as much smack as you can with cooking.

I do love that Sydney was able to help. A tradition past on from grandma, to mom, to her. We called my sis, Kristi, wishing she was there to help make them and she said she made hers the previous night. Nice, Kris!
Allie and I decided to double the recipe and make one without nuts (her way) and one with nuts (my way). I don't see how anyone (unless there's an allergy--understandable) wouldn't want yummy caramelized nuts on their sweet roll! Weirdos! I think Allie was hesitant even helping me put on the nuts here. I was just happy to throw on a bit more!

And here they are in all their yumminess! Did I mention they freeze well and are still yummy when reheated!
Some other traditions during conference weekend go a little something like this...
Sydney was the neutral party. She was just happy to be in the kitchen with the big girls.
Check out those swirls!
I never mentioned how great conference was. I love how there are just a few that really stand out. I wish I could have paid more attention to more of the talks. That will be a tradition I try to start next time.
15 comments:
soooooooooooo, who's were the best!! love the sleeping pictures! i also love the birthday pictures and preschool! how fun! i am so glad you are feeling better in this trimester!!
what fun traditions! Matt has the fall asleep tradition down! :)
That looks like so much fun, and I may have to adopt this tradition, Kevin LOVES cinnamon rolls, so I know he'd be all for it. By the way, who won the bake off?
oh my gosh - those sleeping pictures made me crack up out loud! hysterical!!! but those cinnamon rolls looks fabulous and SO YUMMY! any name for the little one picked out yet???
yum cinnamon rolls. i need to make some homemade ones again. i haven't done that for awhile. they look so good. and i am definitely with allie on the no nuts. yuck!
okay i really need your recipe..those look delicious!! what a fun tradition.
while i'm thinking of it- email me your address to byujulia@hotmail.com and i'll send you an invite to my blog! :)
I think I'm partial to the ones we've been making, but my mom's were pretty amazing and super soft! I may go heat one up right now!
Yum! Mine were gone the next day. I have to limit them to conference time or Noah would want them everyday. Cute bake off idea!
hey there! here is a link to those great blankets!
http://littlegiraffe.com/product/8/50
it was so fun to see you yesterday! you look great!
Who won the bake-off??
You guys are so fun. I want the recipe!!!
I am off in a daze now because of all those cinnamon rolls...did I mention how much I LOVE cinnamon rolls?
We enjoyed conference from home this time with lots and lots of food...and your sister in law's fam, it was fun.
You are all so cute! I would love that cinnamon roll recipe, they look amazing!
Hey, it is Sarah Cook! Congrats on #4. Four has been very kind to us! He is a mellow fellow. Perfect for #4. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy! It was fun to see your family and get an update!
hilarious and informative all at the same time. I definitely prefer the nuts too! Soooooo, a great tradition and I do want the recipe.....
Post a Comment