So there were a few of us that decided to be a little domestic and can a few items. We have to give a lot of the credit to those who inspired us, my bro Sean and his wife Allie canned so many things several months ago and that kicked up into gear. It took us a month to reserve the canner from the church cannery, and we really had no idea what we were in for. A friend and I loaded the kids up in the mini-van to get the monster of a machine, 100 metal cans, 100 lids, a few boxes, oxygen tablets, a few plastic lids, and more food to can. If we would of known it would take so much room in the car not to mention the length of time it took to get things organized, we would have gotten sitters for the kids. They hit their point of patience sitting in the car for more than an hour. We went through several snacks, peek-a-boo games, and I don't know how many times the Baby Einstein soundtrack ran. They were DONE by the time we pulled up to the house.
Saryn had cried herself to sleep, Lincoln was on the verge of pulling his cute red hair out and Spence was having a hay day clinking the cans together which made the trip that much more enjoyable. I'm glad we at least fit all the cans in the car. This picture doesn't do it justice. The back was completely full so we stashed them anywhere they'd fit and not get too bent out of shape.
This is only some of them. The rest of the cans were covering other counters in the house.
Ashley modeling the beast! Did I mention that she was due any day in this pic and had a baby shower this same week we were hoping she would make?
Till next time!
5 comments:
i am still afraid of canning. i need someone to teach me. a one on one tutoring lesson would be great. i feel very inadequate in this area of my life, but hopefully soon i'll figure it all out. looks like you had a lot of pregnant fun at your house!
Wow, if disaster strikes we are coming to live with you. I need you to teach me how to do it.
This is on my list of things to get done this month! Don't you love how easy it is to use that machine? I have a basement and garage with items waiting to be dry pack canned...Thanks for the reminder to just do it!! Looks like you had a great time!
Sounds like you guys did GREAT!! I had some food stored up for hurricane season and it came in very handy for Ike. I definitely need to get stocked back up.
I probably don't keep enough around.
Good job on the canning thing. :)
I have to say we did a great job. the cinnamon rolls look great. Hope you have fun in utah see ya when you get back.
Post a Comment