Friday, January 09, 2009

Our Christmas Trip that Would Have Been...Plus 3 Seasons

With a baby coming in January we thought it best not to travel anywhere for Christmas. It was our year to go to Utah to be with Jeff's parents, but it just wasn't in the cards this round, so we opted for a Utah trip in October instead. Yes, October...something I should have posted long before now, but now is as good a time as any, right? 

Season #1 SUMMER
When we got there the weather was so warm it felt like the tail end of spring/first part of summer. It was great. I was beginning to wonder if we packed too warm of clothes. 

We flew in to SLC and John and Jan were both there to greet us with big hugs. We went to John's office to say hi to a few people and then took advantage of the nice weather and walked over to Temple Square. It felt like we hadn't been there in so long. We were able to capture this shot of Spencer and his look alike (John/Pappo) in front of the SL Temple. I love that they are even wearing the same colored pants. Throw a pair of glasses on Spence and it's John back in his elementary days.
In 2004 we spent Christmas in Utah. I had just had Spencer and Jeff took this picture of Sydney (2 yrs.) in front of the temple. You'll notice that Saryn will be in this same coat and hat (It's a keeper!)
Here's Syd again, just 4 yrs. later and with more posing experience.
Walking on Temple Square  and glad to be off the airplane. Even though Spencer said, "I can see the whole world from up here!"
Blowing Dandelions (that's what they're called, right?)
Season # 2 FALL
Since there aren't many colorful trees in the fall in Texas, one thing I wanted to do was take a day to drive up the mountains where all the leaves were turning and take some family pictures (specifically for Christmas cards). The day was much cooler than the previous day, but the kids had a blast getting their mountain experience. Jan even let them throw snow balls at her when we reached a spot that still had some on the ground.
I LOVE THE FALL COLORS!
This little walkway was so pretty . A perfect place for a Bubba hug!
Jan/Bubba was our photographer for the day (bless her heart!). She was a trooper and did a great job considering the cooperative moods (of both parents and children) she had to work with!
This one was the keeper for this year's Christmas card. Not a whole lot of smiles from everyone, but we'll take what we can get.
Sydney was in complete posing mode. I should set up a slide show of just her posing in all the pictures from this trip. This is just ONE of the many hand on the hip shots!
The kids enjoyed throwing rocks into the creek and really wanted to get wet. I felt like the anal mother spoiling all the fun. Guys? Don't you remember it's picture day?
I love this little picture of these two.
This wasn't to give you a shot of my chest, but rather to document the little one that hasn't joined us yet. My belly just wasn't the right size to photograph ...so we grabbed a big leaf to represent her.
The next day we headed to Midway to stay at the new cabin/house we'd been hearing about for so long. The drive is only about 45 minutes away and is such a peaceful drive. Sydney and Spencer thought so too. (This is not staged, I promise).

Season # 3  WINTER
Another thing on our to do list was take the kids on the Alpine slides in Park City. It was really cold and the kids got their first snow of the season. We got them all bundled up and started the morning off right with some creamy hot chocolate. Does Saryn's attire look familiar?
Sydney and Bubba riding the chairlift up to the top.
Spencer and Pappo
The crew on their way to defeat the slide.
Will they really go through with it? Sydney was a little "ify" right about now.

If you wanna take a ride, jump on. Just make sure you wave to Sydney and Bubba as you pass. Then tell Jeff he did a good job video taping.
Saryn getting a little taste of the alpine slide. Maybe next time we visit, the two of us will be able to jump on a sled.
Afterward we were able to enjoy caramel apples from Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory. So Good!
We went swimming at the Homestead.
I loved this walk to the Homestead! The fall leaves surrounding us, the creek pouring around the rocks under the bridge beneath us, a cute little bench perfect for a good picture taking opportunity and fun company! We were on our way to get lunch and then swim. If you ever go eat there, they have the best root beer floats! 
Had a fun get together with fun friends. My friend Leigh came up with her 3 kids and Dave and Tiff brought their 3 girls up. We had a Costco feast around Jan's huge round table. I want one! It even stretches to an oval so 12 people can sit around it! Seriously, it's awesome!
The Snow Family. Jeff and Dave have known each other since they were youngins.
The "Awesome" house (as Spencer calls it).
And one last picture with Bubba and Pappo.
Thanks Bubba and Pappo for such a fun trip! We love you guys and can't wait to come back 
And here's a little clip of Saryn entertaining us at dinner. She does this on a regular basis. I love my kids!!

6 comments:

Clint, Marianne, Sage, Charlotte, Emery and Ivy said...

I love your new posts! My fav pics: Saryn's face w/ Santa, your side belly shot--yea, you finally look pregnant! ;) and the fall pictures in Utah. Love your Christmas card, too. Miss you guys!

loven it! said...

hey there! can you believe it is already jan?? that was so fun to see you guys in heber!! i love the videos too - priceless!! i can't wait to meet that little baby too! good luck with everything! love you!!

loven it! said...

hey there! can you believe it is already jan?? that was so fun to see you guys in heber!! i love the videos too - priceless!! i can't wait to meet that little baby too! good luck with everything! love you!!

Emma Jo said...

Oh my goodness, I feel so behind. I love recaps, no matter when they happen! We miss you guys, it was sure fun seeing you and I can't wait to hear baby news!!
Plus, I have to say I am so proud of you getting all this blogging caught up and done before baby comes so you'll have nothing to do but post adorable pictures of new girl!!

Slim said...

Fun post and such cute pics! I loved seeing Syd then and now. She has got some serious modeling ability, huh?

Ash said...

What a fun trip. I felt like I was actually there going down the slide and all! Great post! Good luck with everything coming up!